Wednesday, November 29, 2023

My first garden railway

 

Garden railway

Digging through some old photo albums, I found this shot. It shows my first garden railway. 

The track, Peco SM32, is laid on a bed of pea gravel sitting in a trench. I think there are short wooden posts bashed into the ground every couple of feet, and the sleepers are screwed to these. 

A Mamod loco, built from a kit, is posed with a set of Coopercraft wagons. It's not running with them because the somewhat excitable speed control on the loco would yank them off the track. 

I'm pretty sure I still have everything in this 30 year-old (at least) photo. The track is in a cupboard. The loco stored safely with the rest of the 32mm stuff. The wagons are on the bench, awaiting a little cleaning and renovation. Even the hut, made from a solid bit of wood, is in the garden railway bits. 

One day, thanks to my greater knoweldge and experience, all this will run again. For now, the line slumbers...

No comments: