Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Festive Hornby and the WonderWorks

 

Hornby

This time last week, I was down in "sunny" Margate to visit the good folks at Hornby. Sadly, I can't tell you anything about the things I saw, other than to say the building looks really nice lit up for Christmas. Well, nice except the sun is going down, and I still had the M25 to tackle...

Plastic kit Phil

I did manage a tour of WonderWorks, the new-look visitor centre. The old place was looking a bit tired, and the refit has turned it from a bit of a maze, to somewhere that's easy to get around. It's bright and inviting too. The old version was a bit like a museum with some interactive stuff bolted on. This version is much more coherent in that respect. Basically, it's a family-friendly tourist attraction. 

Maybe I lament some of the older material not being on show, but that's because I am old and nerdy. The average 10-year-old would not be interested in cases full of Tri-ang. There are still some, just not as many. 

They will be interested in the info on how kits are made now, with both railway and slot car displays. If you are interested in modern production methods, this is great. 

That's not to say history has been ignored. Fitting 100 years into the space must have been a challenge. 

My favourite exhibit? A wooden motor mockup three times life size, as part of the display showing how Scalextric cars used to be designed. 

Worth a visit? On balance, yes if you are in the area, or can arrange to be so. Take the family too, I think they will enjoy it.


No comments: