Sunday, December 17, 2023

Steam at Rowington 2023

 

Santa and K6

Half an hours drive away from me is the village of Rowington, home to a 32mm gauge line I regularily run trains on, and in December "Steam at Rowington" organised by John Sutton. While a village hall show, it's a terrific village hall show. 

Four layouts, two in 16mm scale, one in G, and a 7mm scale Listow and Ballybunion project, were to be seen, plus eight quality traders. This event punches above its weight!

On the stage was a 16mm layout, complete with an "Otter" from the Groudle Glen Railway. My Dad loves this loco, and it would sit very nicely with our 7/8th scale "SeaLion". Based on a Boot Lane Works loco, unavailable in 45mm gauge, it's got us thinking about our own model. Sadly, this tiny Bagnall is a bit odd, and there isn't a plan, to my knowledge. Some dimensions are available from the Groudle book, but I may have to take a tape measure on a future visit to the line...

In the centre of the hall is a 32mm gauge oval with a scenic area representing a TR halt. Lots of lovely steam running here, but clearances had to be checked as they were tight!

Finally, a bit of L&B (not that one). If you know your history, you'll recognise this as the basis of the prototype locomotive. Sadly, my photo of the scenic section didn't come out, but it's looking good. There is even the remote possibility of the best known rolling stock appearing as kits...

The cake situation was excellent. A really light and fluffy chocolate cake with such an airy cream centre. One of the best I've ever tasted. A perfect pre-Christmas event.




2 comments:

James Finister said...

There is probably enough information in the Baker and Allen Civil Bagnall bible to draw up a semi-accurate plan. Although it is next to me at the moment it lacks an index to the many useful drawings within.

Surely the folks at North Bay Engineering could be persuaded to share a GA at least?

Phil Parker said...

NB will be my first stop. I mean, if they want me to go and pay them a visit to collect, to save postage, I could be persuaded to get in the car...