Sunday, December 31, 2023

Review of 2023 - The Work Projects

Time for a quick look at the projects I've built for BRM this year. I'm working on 2023 rather than magazine dates for simplicity. 


March kicked off with the miniature railway build based on the West Hill Wagon Works railway, with lots of Scale Model Scenery bits and a fair bit of kitbashing. 

Spring was Practical Phil free, apart from some layout photography, but I was back in April. 


An Ahern-inspired cardboard goods shed, proving modelling doesn't have to cost a fortune. 

And in the same vein, cheapo display cases for your models. 

June, and I'm building something in 009. 

Yes, a layout under a cake cover! It's proved to be popular at shows, with a nice mix of modelling and cute factor. One couple were inspired to look at running 009 around their wedding cake. 

July saw the start of the redesign for our Practical offerings. My first contribution being an upgraded resin building. 

plus a K6 telephone box and painting people. 

August, and I'm going O gauge with a Wickham railcar shed. 


and a look at Scammell rebodying, which turned into an investigation of the various modelling options in 4mm scale. 


A new technique to me in August, thatching a roof. 

Followed by building a 009 wagon kit. 

October, and I was down to turn a Dapol van body into a scenic grounded body. The trouble is, to look good on the page, it needed scenery. 


So, what I didn't cover on the page, was revealed on BRM TV.I really like this little scene. It's nothing special, but very attractive at the same time. 


There was also a look at the new Tramfabriek 009 couplings, which I think should be causing more of a stir than they seem to be. 

We got newsy in November, with a build of the recently demolished "Crooked House" pub. 

I built it in 4mm scale, David Wright built his in 7mm, and Andy "Yam Yam" York provided the prototype notes for one of our best looking features. 

My first TT:120 project for BRM is this laser-cut yard crane from Osbournes Models. 

With the Cost Of Living Crisis™ on people's minds, I take a 1980s Hornby station in December, and upgrade it. 


This isn't the station I planned to do, but when that idea went bad, a quick root around my local model shop found something very suitable. Fortunatly. 

There's also fattening up an N gauge chapel designed for the backscene. 

We reach the end of the year with a trip outside to build a stile. 

And I join the circus, the Kato circus with a micro diorama. 
 

On top of all this lot, there are a few four-step micro projects, lots of video work and quite a bit of layout photography.  Oddly, looking at the list, it doesn't seem that impressive an output. After all, there are a couple of months where I was otherwise engaged, and you won't find a project layout other than the cake cover one. 

I've no idea what 2024 holds (OK, some idea, we do have a planning document), but then I didn't forsee two of our team being made redundant (Ruth and Howard), something I still don't understand, but will have an impact on the time available. 

And there are Garden Rail projects. One of which, if I find the time will be another biggie, but we'll have to wait and see. 

Thanks to all those who have read my witterings on the page and helped pay my wages. It is appreciated, and I hope I've assisted you with enjoying your hobby.

2 comments:

john gawman said...

Great review Phil,nice variety,Happy New Year.

Nick Brad said...

I still have a pile of the magazines unopened in the corner, so I had no idea that Howard had left, shame to hear that. I wonder if he'll ever progress with his plans for a 10 1/4 gauge Class 47 now?
I think physical print media is becoming a harder and harder sell, but I hope the likes of BRM survive for much longer in some form or another.