Sunday, December 03, 2023

Warley 2023

Deep breath. Let's tackle the Warley national weekend. 

Firstly, if you are expecting a detailed rundown of all the 90+ layouts, then you'll be disapointed. My limited trips out from behind the BRM stand were me on a mission. A mission that didn't involved much gawping at model railway layouts. OK, I kept stopping off at Bron Hebog, but it just happened to be on my route when nipping out. 

Friday, we were able to get in early - 10am. This meant no messing around, a quick trip to lorry park N12, and then stright into the hall to drop off my models. Other shows meant parking was in E4, not the normal E1, because it was full. Still, only 10 minutes stroll back to the stand, and I was there before the van arrived. 

I'd been asked to bring the Wagon Kit in Every scale display. As it's now in its ninth year, I dressed it like a Christmas tree with some tinsel. The cake cover layout, and Ferness Quay would provided some movement, and Grandad's trains is always a crowd pleaser. 

The plan this year was to give out 7000 mini-BRM magazines, a really excellent freebee that ate my bosses time, but the result was worth it. To do this, we had five people on the stand Saturday, plus me, the resident nerd who could try to answer all the model railway questions. Mind you, 7000 mags takes up a lot of space!

Saturday started early. I like to take the train to the show, for no better reason than I can. Well, that, and it saves messing around driving. A cold and clear Leamington station at 7:15 with a regular hot chocolate (hot chocolate for breakfast, very continental!) wasn't a great hardship. This deposits me at the show plenty early enough for a mouch around too. 

The day passed in a blur. Much chat. Many mini-mags given away, and a load of product photos taken. Mind you, when 6pm arrived, we were all ready to leave the hall. My usual plan is a trip to the airport for a meal, then back to the station once the crowds have passed. 

At the airport, disaster! where once there were restaurants, now a building site. Apparently this work continues until August, so it was back on the train and a McDonalds on the way home for me. Followed by a load of photo checking, and sleep. 

Sunday worked the same way, except I drove in, early enough to get as close to the hall in the car park as possible. My eventually successful plan, was to take all my stuff out in a single trip with my sack truck. Then a little fight with the traffic, and back home. 

So what about the important stuff? The cake. Well, Carol of the LocoLadies had a delicious chocolate confection in the shape of a tunnel. I didn't scoff the whole slice shown, although it was so nice, I probably could have. In two sittings anyway!

That was Sunday, but on Saturday, I was due to try ModelU's new scanning machine, and the requests on social media was for me to be pictured eating cake. Well, Alan had some, so how could I refuse? 

The new kit is pretty smart. Within minutes of the scan, a link appears on your phone to the 3D model so you can check it out. Better still, the model can then be superimposed on the camera view, so you can be seen in the scene!

I know people moan about Warley, but I had a tiring, but terrific time. Lots of chat, many modellers helped. If you saw me, and came over to sya hello, thank you. Several new ideas and plans were hatched. I managed a small layout shoot too, so a productive weekend. I'm just glad I don't have to do it again for a while!

1 comment:

James Finister said...

I stopped relying on the airport for post-Warley food a few years ago. I've noticed UK airports have, except some terminals at Heathrow, very little before the gates.In contrast European airports, away from resorts, often have great shopping and eating.