Friday, February 16, 2024

It's an odd little tram, but I like it

 

Last weekend, I looked to buy a bogie coach, and ended up with a job lot of G scale stuff. There are a few nice wagons, which will find their way on to eBay I suspect, and a bag with some conversions in. 

These are all four-wheel coaches of verious makes, plonked on a power bogie, and fitted with a pantograph. Value - pretty much nothing, but someone has enjoyed modifying things, and that's fine by me. 

One, in particualar, appeals to both my Dad and me. It's an LGB coach, perched atop a Bachmann (I think, it's not LGB) power bogie. The ends appear to be scratchbuilt, but when pushed into place, are a nice fit. Controllers can be found inside where the driver should stand. The model runs well enough too.


Were I to be picky, it would be nice if the body sat lower on the bogie, perhaps by modfiying the solebars in some way. As it is though, there's definitly a whiff of early electric locomotive about it, some of those appeared to be perched on their power unit. 

Fun has been had building this, and apart from some repairs (the missing step is in the bag) and a cleanup, this is joining our fleet. I know we don't have overhead wires fitted, but I'm not going to let that worry me. We are outside, the rules are different!





2 comments:

secr777 said...

This has some Island Railway flavour to it - perhaps a Manx Directors Shuttle?

Melvyn said...

Phil, the power bogie looks like the trucks fitted to REA/Aristocraft American diesel locos - it's certainly very similar to those on my Aristocraft FA1 and Critter. It's a great little model that I'm sure will bring you loads of fun!