Thursday, February 29, 2024

Up on his wheels


This stage had me worried. It seems there is an error with the suggested wheels for the OO version of Ivor. If you use the suggested size, they overlap. Would the same problem exist in 7mm scale? If it did, that's an expensive problem!

Fortunatly, no. The Slaters 7862W's are a perfect fit. The flanges are prettyclose, but apparently this is correct. 

One pair went together straight from the packet, the second needed a little easing with a square needle file to slide onto the axle. Even then, they are stiff, so a touch more work is required. 

Now, if someone can tell me where my Allen key for the centres has vanished to. I'm sure it was in the drawer with Romford screwdrivers and back-to-back gauges. But not any more.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Given how expensive the wheels are, are you going to risk cutting into them to reduce the spoke count? And then there is the question of if you add balance weights -- in my book some drawings of Ivor have them and some don't, even within the same story!

Phil Parker said...

I don't think I have any choice - Ivor with lots of spokes looks wrong. The balance weights and other details are a problem. I was talking to someone who has ben researching them over the weekend, and yes, they change within stories!

Mark said...

Just wait until you get to painting and find out how many different variations of colour scheme there are for the buffer beams!