Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Ivor

 

Time for another loco kit, well the Sentinel has stalled, and I'm enjoying the soldering. The PH Designs kit has been in my stash for several years. Bought as a present, one of those things you appreciate, while knowing it means quite a bit of expense to buy all the other bits required to finish the job. 

Anyway, my thought had been to use the gearbox from the Senetinel, but on opening the box, I'd already sourced one from somewhere, so all I had to get were the wheels Slaters 7862W. Ordered direct from the maker, they arrived the next day, and I just ignore that they cost nearly 50 quid! O gauge isn't cheap. 

Ivor the Engine was my childhood TV train. Thomas existed only in books, TV was in the future. I liked the quiet, home-spun style. And I loved the dragon, Idris. 

Anyway, the kit is a mix of brass and nickel-silver parts, with details 3D printed in resin and cast in metal. What I don't have is any instructions, although such a simple (I hope) model shouldn't require them. 

If all else fails, I know Ian Mellors has built one, and will be happy to answer any questions.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Fingers crossed the 7mm version builds up easier than the 4mm version -- check the wheels fit before chopping them up to get the right number of spokes as on the 4mm version the size given is two large. All problems aside though it builds into a cracking model.

I've also just emailed you a copy of the 4mm instructions which should help if you get stuck.