Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Dirty Carb


34 Pict 3
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
My Type 2 is running terribly. It can’t still be muck in the petrol as the tank has been treated and the fuel in the filter is nice and clean. This leaves dirt in the carb as the only possible problem.

I did try adjusting it but nothing seemed to make any difference. A quick look in Bentley indicated that there must be muck in the idle circuit as the van would run, albeit with little power, but not idle after the choke went out.

With the carb on the bench I sprayed cleaners in all the orifices and eventually it found its way around the passageways OK – except the one into the accelerator pump.

An overnight soaking allowed me to drill the silt out of the hole but I’m not sure how big the hole should be so don’t know which bit to use to finish it off. Hopefully the Type 2 mailing list will be able to help.

No comments: