Thursday, December 28, 2017

Slow painting


I can be a very impatient modeller. Sometimes this gets me in to trouble when paint or glue aren't given sufficient time to dry.

Working on the boat has had to be shuffled in to odd moments of the day as I've got so much other work on that this isn't a problem. Paint is allowed time to harden fully simply because I slap it on and then have to go and do "proper" work for a few days.

Still, the results are OK. I've gone for Humbrol aluminum airbrushed over the top using Mr Hobby 1000 primer as a base. I do like spraying metallic paint as it gives such a nice finish. One that would be even better if I hadn't tried to extract a hair from the deck. Still, there is a sticker to go over this.

The Red Arrows acrylic red is Humbrol applied from a rattle-can and very nice it is too. With he aid of a hair drier, it was touch dry really quickly. I'm not entirely happy with the line between the two colours, the Tamya masking tape didn't work as well as it normally does, but I feel that a black line delineating the two will look better anyway and hide a multitude of sins.

Now to the fun bit. Getting brushes out to add detail bringing the model to life. . 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you not find issue with masking over metalics? Even the weakest of tapes pulls my coats off.

Phil Parker said...

It worked OK for me. I did leave the paint a couple of days to dry and used Tamya masking tape.