Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Book Review: Rails Across the Isle of Man in the 1950s

 

Let's be honest. I'm a sucker for any book with photos of Isle of Man trains or trams in it. You don't need to put many pictures between the covers before I know a copy is going to be added to my bookshelves. 

Spotting this latest addition to the world of Manx trains, I pre-ordered a copy knowing there wasn't any point in pondering whether I'd buy a copy. It's not the most expensive at £9.99 and I don't know when I'll get to Mona's Isle to pick up a copy. 

If I'm honest, I hadn't expected much. Just some more photos a lot like the hundreds I already have. But I was wrong. 

First, the basics - 64 pages. Softback cover. 20cm square. All photos, except the cover, well reproduced in black and white with good length captions. 

The surprise though was to find a clear shot of the Douglas Head funicular. One where you can see the car properly. 

Then there is a view of Foxdale from an angle I've never seen before. One that gives me an idea what happens at the end of the station, and clearly shows the uneven platform edge. One day I'll build that model, and when I do, this will be a big help. 

The prize though is a shot of Sea Lion rock cafe on the Groudle Glen. I have never seen any photos of this before. I didn't really know what existed out there. Now I do. I'd have paid for just this one picture (I am a GGR obsessive after all). 

With more examination, I'm sure there are other gems that I haven't spotted, but they won't beat these three. 

So, I expected little and am astounded. How can there be more photos turning up of this little island? 

I bought my copy of Rails Across the Isle of Man in the 1950s from the Lexicon Bookshop in Douglas by mail order.

No comments: