Thursday, May 27, 2021

Hibberd Planet diesel

HIBBERD 'PLANET' 11-TON 4wDM 

I can't remember exactly how long ago I built this model, but I know the chassis, a rewheeled Tenshodo SPUD, was written up in Modelling Railways Illustrated, so I guess that means it would be 1996 or 1997ish. 

Built from a Nonneminstre Models whitmetal kit, the parts are superglued together using Zap-a-Gap green, thus proving that models built with glue can have long lives. The castings were nice and clean, so assembly didn't take me very long.

I didn't actually want to build a 4mm scale model of this loco. The plan had been to build it in 7mm scale for the O gauge layout at our club. Unable to find a plan, I decided that if I bought the OO version, I could just measure the boxy bodywork and replicate it in plastic at a larger scale. That project is still on the to-do list.

 HIBBERD 'PLANET' 11-TON 4wDM

6 comments:

Paul B. said...

I built mine to EM, not difficult on a spud. Its finished in very dirty black, and had a non-prototypical flying lesson when it was knocked off a layout at an exhibition, ending up with a battered cab. The club paid for a replacement kit, and when I contacted Peter at Nonneminstre Models he supplied some extra cab parts, which were used to repair my model. The replacement kit is still untouched, there is a vague plan to build it on a scratchbuilt chassis at some stage.
A nice little kit.

Phil Parker said...

That reminds me. When I opened up my kit, the sideframe casting was faulty - Peter apologised and quickly sent me 3 replacements. Top service and really nice guy too.

Jim said...

Tenshodo have brought out a new version of the SPUD - coreless motor - if you want to improve the running

matt scrutton said...

This kit really appeals, but the replacement wheels frighten me a bit

Phil Parker said...

Matt - they aren't essential. A spacer is provided for the top of the SPUD if you want to use the original wheels. TBF, it's only a case of sliding the axle of the gear and putting it on some Romfords. Spare gears for SPUDS are no money either.

Phil Parker said...

Jim - Thanks for letting me know. The last I heard, SPUDs were going to disappear, but it seems I'm wrong. Those new versions are even smaller and I'll be looking for an excuse to use one.