Monday, May 17, 2021

Painting Tag

 

If you are a long-term Garden Rail reader, the name you will most readily associate with the magazine is my illustrious predecessor, Tag Gorton. For many, he is Mr Garden Railway, and as such, was immortalised by Rob Bennet as a 16mm scale figure years ago.

Thanks to an eBay auction, I picked up a mini-Tag for a tenner, along with Jones the Steam. Obviously, I will need to add him to the collection so he can appear on my railways. Which meant finding a reference photo. 

The only one I have shows Manfred R. Meliset, former editor of Garten Bahn magazine, Tag and myself. From a painting point of view - it would have been nice if he'd worn a plain shirt! Still, if a job is worth doing...

Adding glasses to the figure, something also required on 3D printed people, is a challenge. I bent some brass wire around a small screwdriver and the result looks OK, and in keeping with the cartoony look of the little person. 

Now, to paint the Welsh driver.


1 comment:

James Finister said...

Si Harris at Model Earth Design has some etched spectacles in his range.

The family have never forgiven me for getting Rob to sculpt them in their teenage years.