Saturday, September 18, 2021

Saturday Film Club: Dune - Models & Miniatures

Apparently, there is a new film of the book Dune on its way. I remember trying to read the book as a teenager and getting bogged down before abandoning it. The David Lynch directed film might be cult, but that's code for about 5 people liking it and a few others pretending they did. 

But, the techniques behind the miniature and model work are fascinating. I particularly like the idea of shooting a model with a hole in it so you can see background live action stuff - a bit like a matte painting.

3 comments:

Paul B. said...

I made my way through the first three Dune books in my teenage years (do I get a prize?. The film if I remember correctly looked good but was an incoherent mess.

Phil Parker said...

I recall trying to read Dune and giving up. The film was no better, but the effects were nice.

BR60103 said...

Dune was serialized in Analog magazine about 1965. It's the only 5-part serial I remember and it started just as I discovered SF magazines.

However, in the middle Analog changed size from a full-size to a digest size and I somehow missed part 3.

I borrowed the book a few years later, but had trouble following the religious bits. I liked all of Herbert's other novels, though.