Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Fun with wagon names

Hellingly crossing

While Hellingly is out for some video work, I can't resist taking a few photos on the layout. It's been a busy week anyway, so progress on other projects has been non-existent, so they give me something to post. 

With the layout set in 1900ish, I get to run private owner wagons with pretty liveries. I'm sure the purists will object, but it's my layout, so the wagons are partly chosen for colour and the name on the side. I think this makes the layout more interesting (there is a local wagon, and it's black) and since it's my trainset - my rules. 

At the top, you see a wagon that was a definite for me, because it's nearly got my name on it! We'll assume that Cedric Edward was a distant relative, which makes it all right. 

Loco nerds will be interested to know, that 'Angus' is a K's Taff Vale 0-4-0 kit, although all the chassis parts have been replaced with a scratchbuilt version that isn't made out of armour plate thickness metal. 

Hellingly shed

Now we have a really terrible joke - the wagon containing wood, is named 'wood'. Well, it's my model and this makes me chuckle. As a bonus, it's the only yellow wagon on the layout. 

Motive power is a High-Level Models kit which runs very sweetly. I wrote about building this on the blog in 2010.

4 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

One advantage of a German layout is that I can do this a lot and most English speakers will be none the wiser...

Phil Parker said...

I like the sound of that!

Simon Hargraves said...

Angus reminds me that I also have a Taff vale S class part built. I believe there is/was a chassis kit available from Ambis Engineering but I guess it would be simple enough to scratchbuild. As far asI know it's actually a pretty standard Hudswell Clarke contractors'/industrial loco design so could be justified just about anywhere.

Huw Griffiths said...

As it's 40 years since I did my O Levels, I'm struggling to remember the German translation is for "Rule 1".

Probably best if I don't ask anyone to remind me ... .