Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Harecroft Mine Hutch - Part 2: Building the body

 

As expected, all the body parts slot together perfectly with no fettling. I intended to use PVA glue for assembly, so treated the wood to a couple of coats of Weathered Woodstain before starting. No matter how careful you are, some glue will escape onto visible wood, and that stops the stain taking. This then stands out like a saw thumb. 

I also scribed the planking on the inside of the wagon. A small touch, but this is a tiny model so details matter. Also, I feel I've make it "my" model with this quick upgrade. 

The laser-cut wooden "ironwork" was sprayed black, then lightly sanded to hide the woodgrain. Bolt heads were stuck in place with superglue and the whole lot sprayed black again. I need to pick up some Revell No.9 Anthracite spray really, as the colour suits a weathered model. I quickly brush painted it though, which looks fine and hides the grain even more. 

The sides are etched with guides for the ironwork, so a bit more PVA and the body is pretty much ready to go, and looking good. I know Harecroft's version is sign written, but I'll make a pigs ear of that, so my model will be unbranded. Know your limits!

No comments: