Friday, March 04, 2022

Mystery PO underground train model

Digging in a drawer for an old wagon for use in a magazine article, I found something I'd forgotten I owned. Hardly surpriseing, as it's tiny - but there's no surprises that when I spotted it, I bought it. 

The prototype is a train from the famous Post Office underground railway

Scale is 4mm - the model is 90mm long. I didn't paint this, but I don't think it is a professional souvenier. 


It's cast metal, but feels heavier than whitemetal, but that's a guess and I can mark the base with a screwdriver, so it's soft. 

The ends are pivoted, but the wheels (unsuprisingly) solid. 

So, where did this come from? Who made it? Why can't I remember buying it?I know readers of this blog like a mystery, so any answers would be appreciated.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have/had one I think it was from the gift shop at the London transport museum

James H said...

'Heavier than white metal... ...and soft' - lead perhaps? a lead casting?

Phil Parker said...

Lead would make sense, but surely no-one would cast a souvenir in the stuff? It could be a whitemetal with higher than normal amounts of the stuff in there.

Peter Smith said...

I've got one, still in it's original drawstring bag with Mail Rail on it. It was presented to me by Derek Varrier on one of many visits to the railway.

Cast in whitemetal, in 3 pieces held together with flimsy whitemetal rivets, it serves as a wonderful reminder of the many hours I've spent down under London.

Phil Parker said...

Pete - quite a collecable then! Mine must have come a similar route, but lost it's bag along the way.