Thursday, March 17, 2022

Tri-ang Dockmaster train set

Tri-ang Dockmaster box

Who doesn't deserve a train set for their birthday?

My Dad enjoyed a major birthday recently, and I thought it would be nice for him to enjoy a set as a present. Of course, he doesn't do that DCC stuff, he's old-fashioned enough not to be convinced by that new-fangled electricity either, so clockwork it is!

Tri-ang Dockmaster train set

The local model shop had a really tidy Tri-ang Dockmaster set on the shelf, and I decided that I wanted it it would make an excellent fun gift. A little fiddling with the track and we had fishplates on the ends of all the rails - they are spot welded, but some had still gone missing. Fortunatly, Super 4 rails slide in and out of the sleepers easily, and after a bit of digging around, the owner and I managed to make up a complete set. Price was a little higher than the original 16/11 though!

Tri-ang Dockmaster train

The loco and wagons are in excellent condition, hardly used, if at all. There is a key too. Once set up, the loco runs really smoothly, performing 7-8 circuits before running out of puff. 

I know this isn't a rare set. Pat Hammond's history tells me that in 1964, this was the most numerous set produced by the firm. I don't care though. For a start, handing it over was fun and made everyone smile - worth a lot on its own. 

It's the box I really like though. Look at that painting - it shows a world that would have been current when the model was produced, and is history now. Cargo ships arrive at ports laden with metal boxes, not holds to labouriosly unloaded by men and cranes with hooks. 

I like the way the artist has painted the model in the box, complete with missing buffer heads and coupling rods, not a fictionalised version to look real. Even the sqaure hump on the boiler top to give the clockwork spring somewhere to expand into is there.

It's a lovely set, Unashamedly a toy, and from and era when model railways could be fun.

3 comments:

matt scrutton said...

I always wondered what the 'top tank' was for

Christopher said...

Thanks for the memories, Phil! I must’ve received one of these sets for my fourth birthday, so it was the start of my “trainset”. Most of it disappeared over the years, but I still have the two wagons somewhere… Definitely an appropriate birthday gift for your dad.

Colin said...

Gosh. So that was my first model train, apart from some push-along Lone Star stuff. I never knew I had a 'Dockmaster' and it gives me a slight shiver as my adoptive father had worked in the PLA so this would have meant something to him that I've never realised until now.