Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Harecroft Mine Hutch - Part 3: Adding the wheels and job done

Birkhill Fireclay Mine Hutch

And there we have it - job done. I've painted the chassis with Revell No.9 to match the ironwork. While I'm not sure if this is prototypical, but it looks good. 

A dose of weathering powders followed. These work brilliantly on wooden models and with little skill, a variety of shades are produced from just dark brown, black and a touch of rust. 

I have made one change - according to the manufacturer, the axleboxes can be glued in place. I tried that with superglue, and didn't feel they were likely to stay attached very long. 

Digging out the pillar drill, I popped holes in them so I could use brass pins for extra support. Driling the plastic was tricky as it melts if warmed up. I should have used the drill with variable speed, but didn't. Never mind, all bu one od the pins were fitted and those 'boxes aren't going anywhere. 

This is a lovely kit to build, and produces a very cute item of rolling stock. In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to build a 16mm scale 32mm gauge micro layout, and a few of these would be perfect as the basis of the rolling stock. 

Harecroft Birkhill Mine Hutch kit.


No comments: