Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Fire up the jets

 

Looking inside the SAR boat, the installation of the working bits is very nice. Everything is firmly fixed down. Neat wiring too. 

I've no idea what should be in there, but the speed control is a Quicrun 860-Dual driving a pair of 560 brushed motors. Servos operate the directional nozzles, and reversing buckets. 

The intention appear to be that there is a pair of battery packs, with Deans connectors. I can only find a single suitable pack in my collection, and can't locate the connections for the charger, so I've made up a Tamya connection. Not sure what the advantage of the Deans connection offers, for me, I suspect that a common connector will make my life easier. 

Then the reciever was changed for a HobbyLink one. Again, that's a Parker standard. 

After half an hour's fiddling around moving connections on the reciever, the model worked. It's a bit odd as the reversing buckets need to be on a toggle switch, they don't work automatically when you stick the model into reverse. In fact, there's not point in sticking a jet boat in reverse - it's just sucking in air and squirting in out the bottom!

Is one battery pack enough? Will 7.2v move the boat forward fast enough? We'll have to get it on the water to find out.

No comments: