Monday, July 18, 2022

Flat finish grass?

Model grass

After my look at The Army Painter Matt Varnish last week, Mark asked: 

How do you reckon it would work on scenery? The newly laid static grass on my layout is a bit on the shiny side so I need to tone it down without losing the effect of standing fibres. Some reviews on Amazon comment that it came out shiny but you've achieved a nice flat finish.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with shiny grass. I tend towards Woodland Scenics stuff or Greenscene, both of which have nice, matt fibres. However, others aren't so lucky, and since I have a handy micro diorama left over from some filming, covered in static grass, I gave it a blast. 

 Results look pretty good. It's not clumped up the fibres (click on the image to enlarge it) and the result is still matt. The colours haven't changed either. 

The secret to a matt finish is to shoot light coats on from a distance of 25-30cm as it says on the can. I assume this gives the varnish time to harden slightly so you get the requisite micro texture. 25-30cm is quite a bit further then you might naturally work. I instinctivly spray at 20cm if I'm not thinking. Normally this isn't a problem. 

So, ignore the people on Amazon I say!

No comments: