Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Warehouse Wednesday: Big lumps of stone

 

Welshpool cottages

File this one under "prototype for everything". 

From 2010, when those cars were more common, a couple of cottages in Welshpool made of the most enormous lumps of stone. Were I building a model I'd say that they were too large to handle, and yet someone (several someones presumably) managed to do just that to build a couple of terraced houses. 

I understand that you might use large lumps for grand buildings, but a backstreet cottage? What is the maximum size of stone that is handleable by a builder? 

You can see the cottage on Google Streetview.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Phil, these cottages remind me of (older) domestic buildings in West Cornwall (such as in parts of Penzance near the harbour) — which are made from substantial lumps of granite! I had not thought about the difficulty of construction, but presumably it would have been a team effort (no JCBs in those days) to get all the stone blocks into place? Is that a (former) nonconformist chapel that I can see to the left?