Thursday, July 28, 2022

The one-minute model boat stand

 

When working on a model boat, having the thing rocking around on the workbench is a bit of a nuisance. The correct thing to do, is build a proper stand for it to sit in. 

It might be the "correct" thing to do, but I want to get this boat on the water to make sure I haven't bought a lemon, and wooden stands take time. 

Then I spotted a piece of polystyrene left over from another project. It looked about the right size, so I cut a quick channel down it with a craft knife, and there we have it. A servicable model boat stand!

Of course, clearing up the little white balls will take longer than a minute...


2 comments:

John Fletcher said...

My soldering gun has a fitting which is more of a blade and is great for sculpting polystyrene. Keep it moving and there's very little of the noxious fumes and very few little white balls to be vacuumed up.

Phil Parker said...

Good point - I must get one of those as it's a very useful bit of kit.