Monday, July 11, 2022

Mobile telephones will never catch on...

 

Catching up with my reading, I see that in August 1960's issue of Coach and Bus magazine, they report on some new technology. 

Telephoning from coaches

Never at a loss for finding new ways of winning passengers to its huge network of express routes across the USA, the National Trailways bus system has introduced a mobile telephone service. 

Call it a gimmick if you like, but the service has attracted wide publicity since it was inaugurated on July 22 by the under-secretary of commerce for transportation, Joh J Allen. 

Will it have applications here? 

I doubt it. Radio telephony for operational control using closed circuits might be a standard fitment, but not for public use. 

My reason for this view? The luke-warm response to the fascility now available in Lancashire to vehicle users. There is not enough privacy for British men and women and it costs too much.

3 comments:

IACooper said...

To be fair the report was pretty much on the mark "...it costs too much"

It's only really in the last 20 years when the pricing, especially of contract deals, has driven the cost of mobile phone ownership down that they've become ubiquitous. Go back 25 years and they were increasing in popularity, but the number of people at Uni with me who had a mobile phone was low - they stood out for having one. Go back further and the technology was there for them to exist, but numbers in use were lower.

Anonymous said...

My mother worked as a “mobile telephone operator” here in the USA during that time…she was the person between the two connecting parties…and as I remember she said only one party could speak at a time…

Howard

Colin said...

PRIVACY?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I'M ON THE TRAIN.