Tuesday, July 12, 2022

The Army Painter - Matt Varnish

 

One shiny diecast 4mm scale VW Beetle body. 

A couple of coats of The Army Painter Matt Varnish later. 


Suddenly, we have a matt Beetle. 

There's not much more then that to say really. The stuff might be a tenner for a 400ml aerosol can, but it does the job very nicely indeed. Easily as good as the now unavailable Testors Dullcote. 

Out of curiosity, I grabbed a nice cream tub lid out of the recycling bag, masked a bit of the naked plastic and sprayed the rest. The photo doesn't quite show how good the matt effect it, but it certainly works. Something to consider for self-coloured plastic kits in the future perhaps.

2 comments:

Mark Fielder said...

Phil, how do you reckon it would work on scenery? The newly laid static grass on my layout is a bit on the shiny side so I need to tone it down without losing the effect of standing fibres. Some reviews on Amazon comment that it came out shiny but you've achieved a nice flat finish.

Phil Parker said...

Dunno. Let me test it on a handy piece of scenery I happen to have - I'll post the results next week.