Monday, July 25, 2022

HMS Gammon?

 

£60 from the KMBC "Bring and Buy" stand at the annual Navy Day. I wasn't looking for another model boat. In fact I was very much not looking to add to my fleet, but this one spoke to me. 

For a start, it's bright orange, and I love orange boats. And orange cars. And orange chocolate. 

It's also a jet-powered boat, and I didn't have a jet powered boat. 

Best of all, it's pretty much complete. All the drives, speed control, servos and even a reciever (Spektrum I think). Pretty much just add a battery and it's good to go. 

A post on ModelBoatMayhem reveals that it's a Graupner multi jet - kit price £225 plus the jet drives. They look like CEM Mini Jet 20's - £77 each. The more I look, the better the bargain this model looks. 

The construction looks pretty good too. Those handrails might be a bit skinny, but they are well made. I can see a bit of body smoothing to be carried out around the top of the superstructure, but nothing major. 

At just over 60cm long, it's as big as I want. Not a problem to move around and it will just about fit on my work area. 

One issue is that this is all I have. Any fittings and details will have to be bought in, or scratchbuilt. Fortunatly, there is a build on Mayhem. Hopefully, there isn't that much to do - it should be (famous last words) a quick project. 

What don't I like? 

The "UK Border Force" stuff on the side. For a start, it doesn't look like border force boat. Here's one: 

Border Force boat

Photographed in Ramsgate last year. It's a lot bigger than this vessel! 

Also, this is losely based on a Swedish Pilot Boat. There's a nice photo from Graupner. 

Love those colours. Plenty of orange there! 

I have a nasty feeling that the border branding tells me a bit about the builder. Regular readers of this blog may have worked out I'm a bit of a lefty. The Daily Mail would probably call me "woke" because I hate racism and misogyny. And when there is a story about asylum seekers drowning in the channel, I hate it when I see the "good" people on social media gloating over dead children. Yes, it does happen, far too often. 

"UK Border Force" has, I suspect, been added to the side in the same way some modellers love adding guns to things because they spend too much time watching old war films. It's a macho thing, and I'm not a fan. 

So, removing that vinyl lettering will be an early job on this model! I've also orderd a set of transfers from Germany.

First though, let's see if it works.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Phil--It's often difficult to be of the centre or Left in the model rail hobby, as it appears that many modellers are conservative. But more modellers are becoming comfortable with expressing their political leanings. I'm a New Democratic Party supporter in Canada. I've had some spirited discussions with other modellers on the topic of politics. And also found modellers who share my views.

With solidarity across the Atlantic,

Carry on!

Steve Lucas

Mark said...

Agree completely on the orange colour (still looking forward to hopefully seeing a bright orange loco I built appear in Garden Rail one day) and on the model being completely ruined by the politics. Looking forward to seeing how you improve it... oh and jet powered? Does that mean sucking in water to then pump out for propulsion? I've no idea how model boats work to be honest so.....

Phil Parker said...

On a jet-powered boat, you are correct. Water is sucked in through the bottom of the boat, and expelled through a steerable nozzle at the rear. This means nothing underneath to catch on underwater lumps, which is why the latest RNLI boats are jet-powered, and can be driven up the beach.

As for orange locos - I was looking at that article about 2 hours ago. Just need to finish September and then I start planning October. I need something to contrast with another major project...

Colin said...

You could leave the Border Force lettering and name it HMC Nigel Farage. Then if it sinks like a stone you won't feel so bad.

Andy in Germany said...

Agreed on the Border Force labelling: I guess "virtue signalling" isn't just the preserve of the left...