Friday, February 16, 2018

Veron Veronica model boat kit

Veron Veronica kit

Found in an attic by a fellow railway modeller, this Veron Veronica kit must date back to the 1960s. His father had started the kit, and built the hull to a high standard, and then for some reason stopped and put it away. 

Years later, his son is looking for a home for the model and I am happy to help. 

Veron veronica kit parts

Inside the box are the suit of sails - very nicely made and ready to use. No piece of material and pattern here!

The keel consists of a hardwood part onto which is screwed a cast lead lump. The mast is split in two and joined by a brass ring. The wooden ends are turned down to fit in it. This is a quality kit. 

I'm not into yachts but know someone who (hopefully) can do the model justice. If it makes it on to the water, I'll be sure to bring you a photo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am serious to obtain this kit

Unknown said...

Hello Phil,

I was bought this by my father as a birthday present in approx 1978, from the Model Shop in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I completed & sailed it in the Exhibition park lake. Fabulous memories & I would love to own one again. It sailed very well with no RC. Wonderfulto see it again

Very many thanks

Neil Liverpool

Peter , Melbourne Australia said...

I found my own model Veronica, which had been sitting idle for years.
My father bought the kit and built it when I was about 10 and we sailed it together.
The keel was a bit canted to one side. The mast has been replaced with a single piece of dowel and it has no sails nor sail ropes (I think they are called sheets. The screws eyes which secure the rigging have rusted through,
I will bring it back to sailing condition, possibly with single channel RC to steer it back to shore.