Sunday, September 16, 2018

Llanfair 2018

Ruston

Sometimes, I get the chance to spend a lot of time on motorways. A couple of weeks ago, my weekend involved a trip to Telford followed by a run to Llanfair the next day. I wonder if I can get a frequent diners card at the Telford services...

It's all in a good cause though as the Llanfair show is always enjoyable. For a start, once the motorway peters out, the scenery is stunning. Then the show itself is large enough for there to be loads to look at, but just small enough for me to be able to chat with all the people I need to in a day. Just.

Layout wise, Waltham Wharf, seen at the top of this post, was new to me and right up my street. Strictly speaking it's not garden railways, but large-scale, finescale modelling representing an 18-inch gauge line. The details were spot on and superbly reproduced. I'm taken a set of pictures I hope to find page space for in the future...

Indian Hill Railway

My time was spent chatting, which is why I go along. So busy in fact, that I didn't get lunch until the ladies running the cafe came around with a trolley selling off the leftover sandwiches!

The day wasn't done though. On the way back, there is the steam festival at the Welshpool and Llanfair railway. Dropping in at Llanfair, the place was full of smoke and steam with trains and lorries filling the modest site. Being contrary, I like the Ferret most of course.

Ferret

Moving along to the Welshpool end - somewhat slowly as I ended up following a steam lorry on windy and hill roads, there is a "normal" railway exhibition and a couple of second hand traders, one of whom has a vast selection of books and leaflets that I aspire to having the time to go through properly one year.

No comments: