Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Coupling chains

One aspect of garden railways that has always amused me, is the very pragmatic approach by the 16mm scale community, to couplings. 

Re-bent paperclips are perfectly acceptable, but if you want to be really post (and I have a tweed jacket, so I do) then bath plug chain is the thing to use. 

Needing to replenish my supplies - the current stock all living in the box with 45mm gauge tipper wagons - I headed to the local hardware store. £1.08 pence later, I owned 3 feet of chain. Large scales aren't expensive!

Half an hour in front of the TV with a pair of pliers unbending and bending links, and I have a couple of bags full, ready to use. I've 3 and 4-link sets so I can chose depending on the stock to be joined. 

As I say, I love this hands-on bodgey aspect of the hobby. It's probably a very British thing - or is it? In the States, I think these are called a MacGyver. Can anyone confirm this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"MacGyver" it is, Phil. Seldom is this expression used by those younger than Baby Boomers, though....

Steve Lucas