Friday, June 18, 2021

That's one layout gone

 

I mentioned yesterday, that Andy and I had visited Rocks by Rail for BRM. The trip had been planned for a year, but Covid got in the way. This meant that one of the objectives for the visit also found itself held up - they needed a new model railway layout for the cafe area, and I planned to donate the Hornby Family Fun Project layout I built a while ago. 

You can read the full build for free on World of Railways. 

 

Anyway, the model was dragged out of store and brought home for some track cleaning and testing - something it passed with flying colours. Then it was another trip to Rutland - where I handed the model over to the railway

Storing old layouts is a bit of a problem. I really like this one, but it's wide and doesn't pack up into a form that protects the scenery. In my dream house, I'd have space to enjoy all my layouts set up - but as that is a very distant dream (read: impossible) then I'm not sorry to see it find a good home. 

Part of the donation was the stock that comes with the FPP, but Andy also produced a more personal loco for the occasion. 

I'm pleased to have handed this over, not just to get it out of my way, but they are such nice people. I was even allowed to sit in the cab of a digger - although with the thing firmly switched off!




2 comments:

Woody said...

Hello Phil, I visited Rocks by Rail today. A great afternoon out and if anyone visits and isn't inspired to think about buying one of the current smaller locos on the market or building a micro layout I would be surprised. The whole museum oozes atmosphere just waiting to be captured in model form.
I was also interested to see your layout in the cafe. I have found that seeing some layouts in the flesh can be disappointing but in this case the photos I have seen of the layout do not do justice to it. It may be a small tail-chaser but it does show just how with a skilled build you can create something that looks really good and no doubt gives inspiration to those who see it to try something themselves.Talking to the lady who runs the cafe she was saying that they do run it and it is a popular exhibit.
Woody

Phil Parker said...

Woody - Thanks for the compliment and also thanks for letting me know it's appreciated.

Rocks by Rail is a lesser-known attraction, but is a little hidden gem isn't it!