Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The wrong bus stop

 

I thought the bus shelter at Selly Oak would be pretty simple. Pre-cast concrete would be the way to go. Utilitarian and ugly would be perfect, and handily Merit produce something that fitted the bill. 

The only snag is that my pavement slopes, so the legs need to be extended by 3mm at one end, but that's not a too tricky with some plastic and ABS strength glue. After that some Precision Paints concrete colour - weathered followed by a wash of new. 

Finally, a wash of black emulsion added staining and engrained dirt. Blu-tacked in position, I was pleased with the look. It sits in the scene very nicely. 

Then I bought a book on Birmingham buses, and realised that in the period modelled, the corporation had bought a job lot of spindly metal shelters. So I need something different after all.


1 comment:

Luke Stevens said...

I think a little modellers licence would be justified here. You've made a nice looking shelter and I'm sure that not ALL of them would have been replaced that quickly...

Luke