Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Complete, but still fighting

 

Provendor Wagon

Well, the provendor wagon is built, and painted, and looks a bit rubbish. 

Despite gloss varnishing the sides, and applying lashings of Micro-Sol, the transfers haven't sat down properly and there's loads of silvering where air has been trapped underneath. 

The photo looks worse than real life, and a big part of the problem is almost certainly down to old, slightly dried up transfers, but I'm still a little grumpy about the whole thing. Maybe when I've cheered up a bit, I'll dig through my stocks of transfers (not decals) and see if there are some better GW ones in there. Ideally, some Methfix would be ideal as those don't have the transfer film. 

What I know, from bitter experience, won't cure things, is weathering. Adding dirt requires plank lines to the muck to occupy and right now, for much of the lettering, those are burried. It would actually make the model look worse!

4 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

Are they the transfers provided with the kit, Phil? I have a vague memory that they weren't much good even in the early 1980s which was when I built several Cooper Craft kits; I don't suppose the intervening 40 years will have improved things!

Phil Parker said...

Yes they are. I don't think my stock of Great Wobbly transfers is that good. Anyway, I want to be true to the kit don't I? ;-)

Christopher said...

Bad luck Phil, it looks quite tidy apart from those transfers. I’m sure you know more about applying waterslide transfers than I do, but I believe that some plastic aircraft modellers use a number of different brands of transfer setting solutions as not all transfers behave the same! I imagine you have better things to do than figuring out which setting solutions work best with ancient Coopercraft transfers though…

Phil Parker said...

Plenty of Micro Sol on the transfers, but it made only a little bit of difference. For the moment, I'll live with it, although when in front of a box of transfers on a trade stand yesterday, I did look through for suitable replacements. No luck, but there is another little show next weekend...