Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Mystery orange blinking thing

 

OK, another challenge. I bought this for pennies at Stafford show, from the dangerous second-hand stall. It was cheap, orange, and I wanted to know more about it. Rather then dig out the box contents like most people would, I handed over some cash (OK, added it to the pile of stuff I was buying) for future investigation. 

Inside, we have an orange box, some lamps, a bit of wire, and a diagram. It appears that there are many options for flashing light combinations. I still can't work out why you'd use them though. 

Inside the box, there's some serious circuitry, but no relay as I was expecting. 

So, I'm not really much the wiser. Anyone got an idea what this is, and where I could use it?

7 comments:

Jody said...

Hi Phil,
Kavan used to be, still are?, a manufacturer of model aircraft so could these lights be for a model aircraft maybe. With the different blinking options you could have different lights in different places on the model.

Anonymous said...

Cake detector?

Phil Parker said...

Not sure I need one of those, I can manage quite well myself! :-)

Phil Parker said...

Jody - Good thinking. That sounds very plausible. Thanks

Simon Hargraves said...

Could this be used on a model boat? I'm thinking Police launch, river patrol, pilot or anything else that might need (a) flashy light/s to draw attention to it.
An interesting item, whatever...and just the sort of thing I, too, would find irresistible!

MikeB said...

I found a Kavan Jet Ranger model helicopter manual online dated 1975 that mentions this unit. In that application it was used to add port, starboard and other flashing lights to the model. Made me smile when it said use coloured dope on the bulbs to get red, green, etc. That would flummox modellers born after the 80s. Dope?! Bulbs?! :). Hope this helps a bit. I love the rabbit holes your articles take me down.

Phil Parker said...

Mike - Thanks for looking it up. Coloured dope, that's one for the older modeller who always works in a well-ventilated area!