Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Painted head part 1

While buying some wood from SLEC at the larger scale aircraft show, I spotted they also sold pilot heads for aircraft. I've looked at these before and thought painting one up would be a bit of fun, so added a 55mm tall model to my order for less than a couple of quid. 

In the packet are a couple of plastic head halves, and some googles. Cleaned up, they are stuck together with plastic cement. Part fit isn't great if I'm honest, you get what you pay for, and there was a bit of manipulation and solvent required to see the halves line up. 


Eventually, I managed to do it, well, near enough. Once the glue had hardened, a couple of hours sanding hid the worst of the joints. A thin abrasive strip was used to re-cut the chanels on the top of the little mans' head. We also needed a little filler on the collar. 

To check the joins were acceptable (a fairly low bar with this model as it's just for fun) I shot some car primer over the whole thing. This showed up a couple of areas requiring more attention, but overall, not too bad. I'm hoping the grey will provide a little pre-shading to the colours too, although a darker shade would be better for this. 

Anyway, now to paint.

No comments: