Thursday, November 24, 2022

Spruce up the unseen bits

I'm planning on taking the DHAPR Wagon Works to Warley this year, and when checking the model over, realised that for the first time ever, the public will be able to see the back of it. 

Now, when I built the layout, for speed, I simply ignored the areas that couldn't be seen. That's why the back of the model is a mass of unpainted, and lumpy, plaster. Not exactly the impression I want to give!

A few minutes with the power sander sort of smoothed the worst lumps. With more time I could have filled in the dips, but I just want it to look tidy, in a bit hall like the NEC, perfection isn't quite so essential. 


With five pots of grey to chose from, I selected one that it turned out, didn't match the front and sides. Fortunatly, there was enough in the bottom of the tin to give the whole baseboard a coat, and very smart it looks too. 

Finally, there was a gap along the back of the fence, so it was out with the static grass and flock powders to cover it up. My coarse flock is full of yellow as there was a bag of the pretty stuff stored in the container, and it's come open. The effect is quite nice though, and a sprinkle of fine green tones the colours down a little. 

I'm just glad I got the model out a few days early. You don't want to be doing this the night before and willing paint to dry faster!


No comments: