Monday, November 14, 2022

Return to the Provendor wagon

 

Back in May, I failed to build a Cooper Craft Provendor wagon. It's niggled at me ever since, so when an eBay search turned up another kit, I decided to have another go. 

Looking back at my blog post reminded me that one trick to this kit, is building the body first. I don't like doing things this way, as IMHO it's better to get the chassis working, but this time there isn't an option. 

As before, the floor has to be thinned on a sanding block, or it's too wide for the sides. Not a lot, probably no more than 0.2mm, but it makes a difference. 

After this, the sides are carefully attached, and weighted down to ensure the result is flat. Despite the instructions suggesting that sanding will be needed on the corners, they go together fine, probably because the plastic glue has softened the material enough that they can be pushed together without leaving a gap. 

Another improvement to my build technique is that everything will be left to harden before moving on. No rushing and dealing with squidgy joins. That means the body sits like this overnight. 

Tomorow, the chassis.

2 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

It's always struck me as an odd choice, at least when you consider the investment required for a plastic kit...though as it fits the cattle wagon chassis I suppose it's only the sides and ends that are new so it could be viewed as a way to get more mileage out of that set of mouldings.
I'm pretty sure I've got one stashed away; like many modellers (and manufacturers) I am attracted to these oddities without necessarily having any idea what to do with them!
I guess if you were modelling the typical BLT, it would need to be big enough to have a shunting horse or three or capable of originating feed to be sent the other way....

Steve said...

I'm impressed with the quality of the mouldings, detailed and fine. Keep going Phil, it's worth finishingand it's gonna be a nice model