Friday, November 11, 2022

R30202 Hornby Collectors Club locomotive - 2022

 

R30202
The Tri-ang collector in me couldn't resist this. It's the 2022 Hornby Collectors Club loco - a lovely little tribute to 70 years of Tri-ang. 

OK, it's the cheapo 0-4-0 in a nice colour, but there is something appealing about it. Especially when I grabed the last one at the GBMRS for half price. And (whisper it) I'm not even in the collectors club! What a rebel I am. 

I'm pleasently surprised by how well the cheap locomotive runs when turned over with a 9v battery. These chassis used to be horrible, mainly thanks to the Scalextric gears they were fitted with, but this is incredibly smooth. OK, it's not Hornby Peckett smooth, but as good as many of my kit-built chassis. 

R30202

One thing that has changed over the years is a move to carboard inner trays. OK, there's some polythene to wrap the model, but with care, most of the box and packing is recyclable. Not that anyone ever throws away the boxes of these valuable collectables...

Of course, I couldn't resist sitting it next to the 1970s "Telephone" model based on a "Polly" tank engine. Mine has a special custom chimney gained when it fell off a shelf recently. I think it has a better dome than the newer model...


4 comments:

matt scrutton said...

Some of those 0-4-0s are very variable. My mate has a caley pug from the early 90s that runs very slowly, as does my similar vintage percy. My childhood Smokey Joe however runs at warp 9

Graham P said...

Phil,having a No 27 nelly/polly that has also run into a icicle in a tunnel ! As per Peter Sam story, in other words I broke the chimney off
Can I ask what your chimney is off as it looks close enough to me and will be better than anything I have found so far for the job
Graham

Paul B. said...

I quite like that. It would go well on my Christmas trainset along with Hornby's seasonal wagons.
I once bought a shiny blue Polly (one of the later can motored jobs) for a fiver, a poor runner which was also missing a chimney. A bit of care saw it running, and an hour on the lathe a new chimney (with a shiny cap). But nothing compares to the big shiny domed red version, absolutely mad but looks great!

Matthew Scrutton said...

You can get 3D printed replacements on ebay