Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Painted head part 2


There's not a huge amount of detail in this cheapo head, I supposed you don't really need much when it will be viewed from several hundred feet away as the 'plane zooms past. I keep things simple with a couple of coats of Humbrol flesh colour followed (when coat two is tacky) with a dry-brush of Revell flesh to provide highlights. 

Being such a large scale, I picked out the eyes properly complete with pupils. They even had a coat of gloss varnish.


Blu-tacked to the top of my old Liquid Poly bottle, I followed the instructions suggestions with a yellow scarf. The track colour jacket is dry-brushed with a lighter brown for a worn leather look, and the scull cap (is this the right term) rust dry-brushed with the samecolour. 

Finally, the goggles were painted, fixed in place with Glue'n'glaze and a strap added from painted masking tape. 

All this was acomplished by grabbing odd five miniutes here and there while very busy with work projects and provided a welcome distraction. I need to find more of these quickie jobs to do as this one stopped me slobbing around. A little satisfaction gained each time.

3 comments:

James Finister said...

Now you just need to build the whimsical large scale plane...

Phil Parker said...

I'm wondering if he could captain a speedboat. I'm not building aeroplanes!

Grahame Every said...

As an ex-fleet air arm aircraft maintainer, I believe the correct term for his leather cap is 'flying helmet'. Often had headphones built in (or inserted). Things have moved on, inevitably, and the modern impact-strengthened "Bone Dome" is still referred to as a 'flying helmet'. Old habits die hard.