Friday, August 02, 2024

Airfix church in The Collector

 

Airfix Church
Time to tackle a kit over 50 years old for the Hornby Collectors Club magazine, The Collector

Last time, I built a Tri-ang hardware store, and I'd hoped to try the church from the same range, that survived into the 1980s, but I haven't been able to locate a kit yet. 

So, plan B. The Airfix church, now manufactured by Dapol, has its roots from the Kitmaster range that predated the Tri-ang one. Kits designed to compliment OO railways were an excellent idea, even though Kitmaster/Airfix weren't model railway manufacturers at that point. 

The model is fun to build and paint, and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. The big question is, what do I build next?

5 comments:

James Finister said...

I believe this is accepted as the prototype https://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/the-airfix-dapol-church-at-bonchurch-on-the-isle-of-wight/

Phil Parker said...

That's the one. I mention it in the article. There are quite a few differences, but it's near enough.

Paul B. said...

Next kit? Perhaps something from the early Wills range, the Station Garage for example, or Grotty Huts and Privy. Something of a cliche perhaps, but arguably as 'classic' as anything from the Airfix range.

Phil Parker said...

I tend to think of Wills kits as very recent. They I remember that they date from the late 1980s/early 1990s, and that makes me feel old!

Paul B. said...

I have a copy of their Illustrated Modellers Guide (blog post coming up!), with a separate price list dated March 1983. The Station Garage cost £2.30.