Thursday, August 29, 2024

Final weathering

 

I don't normally weather garden railway models. Not sure why, perhaps I'm hoping that this will occur naturally, even though it doesn't.

The flat wagons definitely need some toning down though, so it's out with the weathering powders.

A stiff brush is required to really work the powder into the balsa planks, and I like to introduce a bit of variety into the colours. It's not difficult, and makes a huge difference to the final look of these little wagons. 

Some lead flashing under the floors, and the wagons are ready for the track. I think I might fit couplings as shown on Monday, but these will look nice behind one of my locos. We just need a brake van to complete the set.

6 comments:

James Finister said...

It is unlikely these would have run with a brake van, as such, more likely is that the rake would include somes skips with extended frames and brake gear. Oddly, models of such skips are available in 7/8ths scale, but not, AFAIK, in 16mm https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/kbscale/products/wa000b

Phil Parker said...

Good point. Building one of those braked skips would be an interesting project. Mind you, I still fancy a brake van. One day.

Andrew Wood said...

https://philsharples.com/shop/ols/products/padarn-guards-van-kit-32mm-and-45mm looks good with Binnie skips

Anonymous said...

Locoremote print three types of brakes. Skip

James Finister said...

I have one of his 7/8ths braked skips, is there a 16mm version?

Anonymous said...

Yes, the 16I'm stuff was before the 7/8ths, I too have the 7/8the ones,they take a bit of filing down to look right