Thursday, August 15, 2024

Looking for 145

 

Humbrol 145 (Medium Grey), has long been my go-to for painting jeams on model figures, usuaully dry-brushed with 144 on larger models. However, it's become difficult to aquire recenlty. I was in a model shop last week, and there wasn't even a space on the rack for it!

In th same shop, there was a Revell rack, and from memory, 79(Matt greyish blue)  looked like a reasonable match. 


Sadly, my memory for colour isn't that good as it's a lot darker. That said, it IS a useful colour, so money not wasted. One positive, the test piece required two coats of 145, but only one of 79, so it's a nice paint. 

The hunt for 145 goes on though. Perhaps something in an acrylic range is where I need to go. Now, there is a shop locally that stocks the Vallejo range, so I'll have a look there.

5 comments:

Paul B. said...

According to my Humbrol enamel paint chart Revel 57 is a match. There's nothing matching in the Vallejo range.
However, different charts, even from the same company, don't always tally up.

Phil Parker said...

Thanks - I'll look for some 57 next time I'm near a Revell rack.

BR60103 said...

I have a tin of 145, part of set 31 LNER. Call me the next time you're in southern Ontario.
I paid $2.49 for the set at a long lamented model shop.

Christopher said...

If you search for “ipms paint charts”, this might give you some suggestions of other paint ranges to try? If you’re really keen, I can point you to a reference for mixing a very close match from artists’ liquid acrylic paints!…

I despair of what Hornby have managed to do to the Humbrol paint range.

Phil Parker said...

On the basis that Southern Ontario is a little far to travel for one paint tinlet, I better hope that the rumour is true that someone (can't say who at this point) might be entering the paint market...