Sunday, August 11, 2024

Gauge 1 at Kidderminster 2024

Tools of steam

My trip to Kidderminster station on the SVR was a spur of the moment decision. Suddenly finding myself with a free Saturday, and the desire for a train ride while reading the excellent The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece by Tom Hanks. 

I knew that Kidderminster was celebraiting its 40th birthday,  and that there would be a G1 layout in operation. And that the museum does excellent cake. Not forgetting that Footplate Models is a couple of minutes away. All the ingredients of a nice day. 

Arriving at the station, there was a lineup of classic road vehicles. Unexpected, and a good start. The crowds were thick under the canopy, but I eased my way through to the musem as they listened to speaches. As expected, the Victoria Sponge was perfect, and just as I finished this, and my tea, the crowds started to find their way in. 

The G1 layout operated with the usuaul efficiency. A couple of battery GWR railcars filling in the rare moments when steam engines weren't thrashing around the circuit. G1MRA do this very well. A board keeps the public informed as to what will be running when, and there is rarely a break in operation, perfect for crowd pleasing for the public. 

Wet Western

Outisde, a Pannier, 4MT and Western diesel were all in operation. I understand that a loco had failed during the morning, so all services were suffering an hours delay. 

For me, the only disapointment was lunch. A pint in the station pub seemed like a good idea, and on offer was a "Brunch Burger". I love a good pub burger, especially with beer, so ordered. Well, the beer was very weak, I like a light beer, but this was too light, almost watery. The burger was a cheap patty, with two hash browns and an egg in a bun. None of this sits in there, so at least one hash brown has to be removed. Sadly, someone had already extacted all the flavour, and even a generous dollop of ketchup didn't help. 

After lunch, I bumped into an old friend who works on the signalling side, and he took me (among other places) into the signal box beside the miniature railway. It's beautifully restored in there, and volunteers were offering sessions having a go. 

So, what do I photograph with in a lovely, restored GWR signal box?

Stourbridge Junction Signal Panel

Aboard from the modern (1980s?) Stourbridge box. In my defence, I've seen loads of levers, but you don't see the electronic boards. Maybe one day, someone will preserve one? 

Anyway, lunch aside, a good day out. 

More photos over on Flickr.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil - There is a preserved board at Didcot. Cheers
https://www.swindonpanel.org.uk/

Phil Parker said...

Interesting...