Friday, June 21, 2019

Cleaning brass with brown sauce

There's a box of "stuff" at our boat club that members can help themselves to for free, or at least a tiny donation to club funds. It's mostly full of electrical bits and kit leftovers, but a few weeks ago, this little spring balance was sat on top.

I thought it looked a bit sad, so decided to bring it home for some TLC and to try something I'd read about years ago.

Having brushed a bit of dirt from the metalwork, I doused it in brown sauce and sealed the lot in a plastic bag.

The next day, I took it out and washed the sauce away. As hoped, the tarnishing was pretty much gone and after a little buffing with some Brasso, the balance looked brilliant.

 As I don't actually need a spring balance, it was returned to the pot from where I hope it has found a good home.

1 comment:

Huw Griffiths said...

I suspect that some people might have called this project"the one that got away".

Seriously though, this reminds me of something out of my former school's physics lab (and something an angler might use to weigh their catch).

Incidentally, the stuff about the brown sauce doesn't surprise me at all - let's face it, all the ingredients are suspended in ... vinegar (so a weak acid, which should help with removing all that horrible tarnished muck) - while the rest of the sauce forms a paste, which should help the sauce to cling to things.

This isn't a trick I'd have thought of - but I'm not surprised it works.

Thanks for mentioning that one - I'll have to remember it the next time I build a metal train kit.