Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Colour, or at least black

Close-up photos can be cruel. On this loco, they exposed the horrible mould line up the front of the chimney.

Once scraped away, there was a line along the top of the boiler too. When that was dealt with I had loads of unpainted plastic showing. Time to break out the airbrush, or at least wait until the weather warmed up a little and Christmas was out of the way.

I'm pleased to say that sprayed Revell No.8 is a pretty good match for the weathered paint finish on this loco. I gave the top of the boiler and firebox a dose of dirty black to show the sooty grime that had landed from the chimney.

While I was at it, a bit of rust and track colour shot around the model helps blend things together nicely. A bit of work with powder will finish the job, but I'll fit the cab interior first. A wash under those buffers would be a good idea too.

1 comment:

James Finister said...

Looking at that photo I was reminded that one of the simplest and earliest model railway hacks I came across was the use of discs of self-adhesive labels cut with a hole punch to cover the end of Romford axles