Sunday, August 22, 2021

Art in the Park


A proper event - with other people!

Leamington's annual Art in the Park event didn't happen last year for obvious reasons, but in 2021, it's back with a vengeance. Now filling both sides of Jephson Gardens with stands of artists showing the fruit of their labours plus music and interesting food. 

To be honest, it's a bit of a middle-class fete, but none the worse for it. Entry is free and you'd like to think that perhaps a few youngsters who wouldn't otherwise see this stuff will take a look and be inspired. There's a difference between having to make art at school and seeing that people can make an income from something they are passionate about. 

Simple being around people (outdoors with a breeze) was a joy and something I've not experienced for many months. There were chance encounters with friends too - at one point I was sheltering from the drizzle in a decorative blacksmith's stand and found myself next to one of my old bosses. We are now looking at doing the sample metalbashing course at some point!

There was cake, but more interestingly, fish taco and a single halloumi chip (only one, I nicked it from a friend) both of which were new to me and delicious. 

Just like a model railway show, I couldn't leave without buying something. My greetings card stocks are replenished with the sort of things you don't find on the high street, and after a good look around, the item that stuck in my mind, and was within reach of my pocket, was from a ceramic artist stand. I bought a Christmas tree! Maybe not the most avant garde thing I could own, but it's hand made and I chatted to the person who produced it, and that makes a big difference to me.

Fantastic day. Looking forward to next year. 

More on the Art in the Park website.


No comments: