Friday, August 06, 2021

Faller Hit Train - the mad electric loco

Faller Hit Train electric loco

Good things come to those who wait, and in this case mad ones too!

Earlier this year, I picked up the steam loco version of the Faller Hit train, but in truth, it was the electric locomotive I was really after, and I've finally found one for the sort of money I'm willing to spend. 

You might be surprised that these things are quite collectable - but then who wouldn't want the maddest model railway design ever made on the shelf?

Faller Hit Train
This whole set is brilliantly bonkers, and it's German! 
 
The nation best known for logical, rational thinking, decided that what the world really needed was an overhead electric loco with no basis in reality. 
 
Team that with some fantasy rolling stock and you have a winner, at least as far as I am concerned. 
 

The loco came as part of a set for £12 from ebay - a real bargain as it's pretty much mint. I've got track and three points and some clips for Faller Hit car track to fit to. Yes, they did a racetrack system, but that is properly expensive if you can find it!
 
The whole lot is very clever. A switch on the bottom of the loco and throw it into reverse when it runs over the orange arrow, so it can operate automatically if you fit this at the end of a siding. I don't have space at the moment to lay the track out, or I'd give it a go. 
 
I'm already thinking about a Hit Train session at the next NGRS - which will probably get me thrown out for not being serious enough!

6 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

"...The nation best known for logical, rational thinking..."

But not colour coordination or aesthetics, and I'm afraid we've gone and proved it once again...

Duncan Young said...

Form a 'serious' angle (!!) the loco could be the basis of a coking car loco!

Duncan Young said...

The loco could be the basis of a coking car loco- just joking!

Phil Parker said...

Duncan - I know what you mean, there is a hint of one of those locos about it. I think there are some rivets missing though... :-)

BR60103 said...

Phil: I was unaware of this train.

Long time ago, someone decided that there was a distinction to be drawn between "serious" and "solemn" modellers. This may help with separating them.
David

Phil Parker said...

BR60103 - That is a perfect distinction.