Wednesday, August 18, 2021

New look Humbrol weathering powders

  

The nice people at Hornby recently sent me some of their new-look weathering powders to use in my projects. I understand that there has been a change in supplier and also, more importantly, in the packaging. 

Gone is the thin-necked glass jar, and in comes proper pots with wide lids. Much easier to use as you can pull the powder out of the pot with one of their Stipple brushes (I really like these) and then use it from the lids, even mixing it up in there. It's less messy than the bottles, although I still wouldn't work over your best tablecloth!

There are new colours too with light and dark rust in addition to the iron oxide. 

Sticking power seems to be about the same as the old mix. I happily threw them at some standard wagons and the powder didn't fall off the sides. I don't bother sealing it as varnish changes the colour of the weathering. OK, lots of handling will wear the powder away, but largely from those areas that would be less mucky anyway - it will still be in those nooks and crannies. 

Good stuff. 

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Thank you, interesting, these seem to be in a useful-sized container.

It has given me another idea of what to use my accumulation of small empty “Tiptree” glass jars for…