Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thames workboat


thames workboat
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Last week I had a trip to the smoke for a training session. Since this knocked off at lunchtime I had some time to wander. The point where my feet got tired and I found a tube station to get me back to Marylebone was Westminster.

Of course Westminster is on the Thames so there are plenty of boats to watch. Most are tourist vessels which don't interest me much but right by the bridge there was this little work boat moored by the landing stage.

I'd estimate the length to be between 30 and 40 feet. Sadly it's got limited appeal for modelmaking as the deck is so open. I'm not sure where you'd hide the radio gear, batteries or other gubbins unless you worked in a very large scale.

Presumably the open deck allows a large number of people to be accomodated in case the boat is used for rescue work. You could get all the way around if fishing things out of the river too...

No comments: