Thursday, September 11, 2014

Laser cut buildings in BRM

October's issue of BRM is an RM Web special with lots of article by member of the countries largest model railway forum. We even handed over some of the editorial duties to a couple of guest editors - you can read their experiences on the BRM Blog.

My input this month, both on paper and on the bumper pack DVD, centres on laser cut buildings. I've Tried and Tested an engine shed kit from LCut Creative engine shed kit.

It's an interesting model. Sharply cut from a superb material - a compressed card that cuts perfectly with a sharp knife. I'd like some plain sheets for scratchbuilding. The kit's not perfect, as I say on the page, but if you need a single road shed for a tank loco, it's well worth a look. Being able to buy components or modules from the range is an excellent idea too. Those windows are superb.

On camera, I'm building a bridge kit which involved a bit of Blue Peter style "He's one I built earlier" malarkey. With only one kit to work with, I found myself sat outside the studio quickly sticking the model together while Howard was in front of the cameras. The place stank of superglue kicker afterwards...

3 comments:

James Finister said...

As you know I'm a fan of the Lcut buildings. http://apavalley.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/signal-box-progress.html Like you I've found some issues with the realism of the design, but they've been very responsive to criticism. For instance the small signal box now has a larger door and the windows have added relief http://www.lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B%2000-03&title=B%2000-03

Phil Parker said...

The trouble is, I can only review what I have. I suppose I could refuse to post anything other than a glowing review - any criticism being passed back to the manufacturer but then I'm doing their R&D for free. The readers don't get anything to read but the magazine staff are spending all their time working for manufacturers.

I even had a case a few years ago where the kitmaker really thought that was how it should work - after the third itteration of the kit I declined to perform any more free model testing for them!

What I would like from LCut is sheets of the material they use. It's fantastic stuff. Stable and lovely to cut with a knife.

James Finister said...

I thought it was a good review, and as I've said myself elsewhere even if you just see these kits as a starting point they are excellent value.

And yes I agree some large sheets of their material would be useful. I have plans for an overbridge using it....