Tuesday, July 14, 2015



While stripping down the building, I tried to remove the plastic windows carefully, decided they were too well stuck in place and just bust them out with a poking finger.

Replacements were cut from 1mm thick plastic sheet. I tried to mark the bars by scribing them and filling the lines with white ink. This didn't work as the ink pulled out of the scratch as soon as I rubbed the excess away.

The second attempt was made with enamel (Humbrol 147) put on with a bow pen. Although I'm showing the best window, the others are OK, at least for this project. To be honest, I wish I'd gone for the bow pen straight away - a lesson to be learnt for next time. It's certainly the best way to represent steel industrial window frames.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Very tidy, Phil! I suspect that getting a bow pen to work is an art in itself... (I could never get mine to work.) I've tried a number of techniques to represent "glazing bars" over the years. I had some success with filling scribed lines with Humbrol enamel: I think I allowed the paint to dry a little before wiping off the excess. Sticky (paper) labels can be stuck over the glazing material, and bits removed where you want the glass to be -- great for window frames. I've found 3M Scotch "Magic Tape" to be useful too: paint a suitable length opaque white, leave to dry, and then use a sharp craft knife or scalpel to cut thin strips of material that can be stuck to the glazing material where required.